Unskilled Labor Shortage: The Facts
- The Department of Labor estimates that half of the jobs created in the next five years will require no more than a high school education.
- In 1960 half of all American men dropped out of high school to look for unskilled work. Today only 10% do.
- 50% of all the new jobs created in the last decade were filled by foreign-born workers.
- A Pew Study highlights the crisis:
- Annual need for unskilled foreign workers: 500,000.
- Visas issued annually to year-round unskilled workers: 5,000.
Losing immigrant labor would be devastating for the U.S. economy – for American businesses and the Americans who work for them.